Democracy at Work Institute (DAWI) seeks an energetic, experienced, self-directed and collaborative person to support operations of our dynamic national nonprofit organization. Our core work is supporting the expansion of democratic employee ownership of business as a strategy for racial, gender and economic equity.
About the role
The Operations Administrator works closely with our Executive Director and operations team to ensure that everyone in our mostly-remote organization has the tools and supports necessary to do their work effectively and efficiently. This position will set up, monitor and support good operations systems, ensuring that the Institute’s infrastructure enables effective programs, fundraising and a happy, productive team.
DAWI is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit movement-based think-and-do tank that expands the promise of cooperative business ownership to communities most directly affected by economic, social, and racial inequality. We do research and advocacy; we develop tools and new models; we train worker-owners and developers; and we convene communities of practice to ensure that further growth in the worker cooperative movement reaches low-income people, BIPOC communities and recent immigrants. We are affiliated with the US Federation of Worker Cooperatives, the national grassroots membership organization.
Operations and Systems Administration - 25%
- Manage email and phone inquiries; route to appropriate staffer or partner for follow-up.
- Provide IT and information security support for main and remote offices, ensuring tech systems are secure, appropriate and functioning to support our team to do their jobs.
- Maintain and support hardware and software across the organization. Help buy, maintain and troubleshoot equipment. Maintain shared online work systems: Google calendar, Zoom, Survey Monkey, RingCentral, password manager, etc.
- Maintain organized electronic (Box, Google docs) and physical files.
- Maintain office and program supplies.
- Maintain staff travel calendar. Ensure preparation, debrief and reporting for all staff travel.
- Support information flow with the Finance Manager on billing, statements, reimbursements, documentation, filing and record-keeping.
- Support implementation of a new project management system across the organization, including training of staff and upkeep.
- Work with the ED and operations team to assess and support the organization’s systems needs.
- Support staff meetings, retreats and morale.
- Maintain and update organizational operations handbook.
Database Administration - 25%
- Manage and perform routine data entry and data cleaning, and support routine staff data entry
- Assist Metrics and Impact Analyst with database design, development and maintenance, and managing a new CRM system for specific programs.
- Support the collection of metrics and evaluations for quarterly and annual reporting
- Develop facility with the database and assist staff to use it effectively.
- Develop and present reports for grants, staff internal analysis, etc.
Contracts and Grants Administration - 20%
- Support Operations and Contracts Director to set up contracts with clients, subcontractors and vendors, and maintain current records, including invoicing and payment.
- Administer and collect client evaluations.
- Assist with collecting, tracking and reviewing compliance documentation as needed.
- Manage fundraising and reporting calendar; provide deadline prompts to fundraising team.
- Liaison with fiscally sponsored projects: support Operations and Contracts Director with intake, setup, monitoring, reporting. Maintain fiscal sponsorship files and calendar.
Human Resources Administration - 10%
- Bottom line all HR records/file management, including all contractor and employee files.
- Support hiring, onboarding and offboarding processes.
- Support finance manager with monthly payroll and annual benefits enrollment.
- Support supervision and evaluation, maintain calendar and records, and support process.
- Maintain updated organizational hiring and personnel policies. Support policy implementation and documentation of changes made by member personnel committee and organizational leadership.
Programs and Communications Administration - 10%
- Support program teams with administrative needs as they arise.
- Provide operations and logistics support for program event planning.
- Receive and refer out intake calls for Workers to Owners and Owner to Owners hotlines.
- Support Communications Director with outreach, promotion, and social media as needed.
Executive Administration - 5%
- Support the Executive Director with calendaring, scheduling, meetings, and travel.
- Support the Board of Directors with meetings, calendar, documents, onboarding and offboarding.
Organizational Participation - 5%
- Participate in staff meetings and professional development activities. As desired, participate in membership-level management and governance of the organization.
We are seeking someone with strong tech skills, excellent proactive communication habits, and experience developing and supporting systems with real people in mind. Required for this job:
Education, Experience, Skills
- Basic operations experience: at least two years experience in an admin or operations role
- Database/CRM skills: Some experience with online databases or CRM systems such as Salesforce, CiviCRM, or others. In the absence of robust experience, demonstrated skills learning new systems, thinking clearly about data, and organizing information.
- Full competence with basic office tools: Microsoft Office Suite, GSuite, online project management systems, remote file systems, online/remote meeting tools. We use Slack for most communication. Facility with spreadsheets is required.
- Facility with new technology: You can learn and teach programs and you are willing to approach tech troubleshooting without fear or frustration.
- Strong task-tracking and 100% follow-through on deadlines: You are able to set priorities, manage time well, establish realistic deadlines and meet them consistently. You have unflinching attention to detail.
- Communication skills: Strong written and oral communication skills across all mediums.
- Remote work: You like to work independently and can execute a mix of tasks with self-management systems in place. Experience working remotely is preferred. We expect all staff to use technological tools for remote working and have consistent access to a reliable internet connection. (Note that remote work can be challenging for developing systems, getting buy-in for their use, and maintaining consistency of practice —a key part of this job.)
- Flexibility: You are able to make accommodations that suit everyone involved, whether it is meeting time, task deadlines, or priority setting.
- We value emotional intelligence, kindness, and sense of humor. Diplomacy, judgment and discretion are important in this position.
What We Offer
- Values: In all our work, as well as internal operations, DAWI strives to embody our organizational values of Excellence, Equity, Entrepreneurialism, Collaboration, and Human-Centeredness.
- Strong team: We are a high-functioning, close-knit staff with a healthy respect for the operations work, and we want to work with a skilled and reliable colleague.
- Flexibility: As a remote organization, we offer flexible working hours and locations.
- Travel: Some travel for all staffers is expected and supported.
- Professional development: We invest in professional development for staff through training, coaching, and relationship-building. Our goal is that staff contribute their talents to DAWI for a long time, and that when they leave they are well-positioned to take the next step in their career.
- Growth potential: This is a new position in a maturing organization, and is key to our sustainability as we grow. The position has potential to grow as the organization grows.
- Member voice: DAWI is a membership nonprofit organization, which means that staff members have representation on the Board of Directors, electing two of nine seats. Staff also lead on setting organizational policies, developing the budget, and informing strategic priorities. Within a relatively traditional management structure, we use participatory management best practices, including open book management, 360 evaluations, and a coaching approach to supervision.
- Stable organization: DAWI has a diversified revenue stream, multi-year funding, and a commitment to building an annual reserve that creates stability for our growing organization. Our annual budget for 2021 is just over $3 million, and our average staff tenure is over 5 years.
Schedule and Location
This is a full-time position. We are a remote organization with physical offices in Oakland and New York, which allows us to have staff all over the country, and to create flexible working hours and locations.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $50,000-$65,000, depending on experience. DAWI offers medical, dental and vision benefits; generous paid time off; and 403b plan.
How to Apply
Email a cover letter, resume, and two references to hiring [at] institute.coop. The subject line should state “Operations Administrator position”. Deadline to apply: August 13, 2021
Notice of Nondiscrimination
Democracy at Work Institute (DAWI) is committed to a multi-racial and class-diverse staff that reflects the future of worker cooperatives. We are an anti-racist organization that centers racial equity in our values, programs, and vision. Women, people of color and others who may be underrepresented at senior levels of the nonprofit workforce are strongly encouraged to apply. DAWI is committed to equal opportunity for all persons without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, marital status, disability, or sexual orientation, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination under state or federal law. It is the policy of DAWI to comply with all federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding equal opportunity. In keeping with that policy, DAWI is committed to maintaining a work environment that is free of unlawful discrimination and harassment. Accordingly, DAWI will not tolerate unlawful discrimination against or harassment of any of our employees or others present at our facilities by anyone, including any supervisor, coworker, vendor, client, or customer of DAWI.