Now Hiring: Operations Manager
Democracy at Work Institute (DAWI) seeks an energetic, experienced, self-directed and collaborative person to join our dynamic national organization supporting the expansion of democratic employee ownership.
About the Job
Essential Job Functions:
Operations and Systems Administration (45%)
Knit together DAWI’s various data tracking systems and build systems across programs. Assess which tools are best and migrate data as needed. Maintain and improve:
Manage email and phone inquiries; route to appropriate staffer for follow-up
Provide IT support for main and remote offices, making sure technological systems are appropriate and functioning to support our team to do their jobs.
Maintain and support IT hardware and software across the organization
Support IT troubleshooting and accessing outside support
Maintain organized electronic (Box, Google docs) and physical files
Support and work with Finance Manager
Maintain office and program supplies
Maintain staff travel calendar; assist staff in planning travel. Ensure that standard preparation, debrief and reporting happen for all staff travel events
Provide operations and logistics support for event planning, including bi-annual national conference
Executive Administration (20%)
- Manage the Executive Director’s calendar
- Support scheduling, meetings, and travel
- Support the administrative and logistical needs of the Board of Directors, mostly meeting scheduling and preparation; some onboarding and offboarding tasks (i.e. coordinate retreats and Executive Director evaluation, Executive Committee support)
- Work with the ED to assess the organization’s systems needs. Continually synthesize fragmented para-systems. Research, propose and lead new systems implementation
Database Support (20%)
- Manage and perform routine data entry and data cleaning
- Support the collection of metrics and evaluations for annual reporting
- Assist Metrics and Impact Analyst with database design and development
Human Resources Administration (10%)
Coordinate the hiring committee’s recruitment, interviewing and onboarding for new hires
Coordinate and support employee offboarding processes
Maintain employee evaluation calendar and records
Coordinate annual benefits enrollment
Collaborate with Member Personnel Committee on policy development and implementation
Bottom line all HR records/file management, including all contractor and employee files
Oversee the 360 evaluation process for staff and the executive director.
Contracts and Grant Administration (5%)
- Manage fundraising and reporting calendar and deadlines; provide prompts and support
- Support Contracts Manager to maintain and organize contracts with clients and vendors, manage client pipeline and prospecting.
Skills and Qualities We Seek
- Basic operations experience: at least 4 years of experience in an admin or operations role.
- Full competency with basic office tools: Microsoft Office Suite, GSuite, online project management systems, remote file systems, online/remote meeting tools.
- Facility with new technology: you can learn and teach programs to take the organization to the next level of cybersecurity and functionality, and you are willing to approach tech troubleshooting without fear or frustration.
- Database, data entry and data management experience (CiviCRM is a plus but we can teach you if you know databases generally).
- Strong organizational skills, task-tracking and 100% follow-through on deadlines: you are able to set priorities, manage time well, establish realistic deadlines and meet them consistently.
- Strong written and oral communication skills across all mediums.
- Initiative and ability to anticipate organizational needs: you can identify gaps, improve systems, and implement effective operations models.
- Remote work: you like to work independently and can prioritize and execute day to day tasks, with self-management systems in place.
- Basic budgeting and bookkeeping skills; familiarity with Quickbooks.
- HR and benefits administration experience.
- Passion for social justice, racial equity, small business, and/or labor organizing; willingness to build familiarity with employee ownership and worker cooperatives
- We value emotional intelligence, kindness, and sense of humor. Diplomacy, judgment, and discretion are important in this position.
Notice of Nondiscrimination:
Democracy at Work Institute (DAWI) is committed to a multi-racial and class-diverse staff that reflects the future of worker cooperatives. Women, people of color and others who may be underrepresented at senior levels of the nonprofit workforce are strongly encouraged to apply. DAWI is committed to equal opportunity for all persons without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, marital status, disability, or sexual orientation, and any other class of individuals protected from discrimination under state or federal law. It is the policy of DAWI to comply with all federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding equal opportunity. In keeping with that policy, DAWI is committed to maintaining a work environment that is free of unlawful discrimination and harassment. Accordingly, DAWI will not tolerate unlawful discrimination against or harassment of any of our employees or others present at our facilities by anyone, including any supervisor, coworker, vendor, client, or customer of DAWI.
Compensation and Benefits
$50,000-$65,000 depending on experience. DAWI offers full health benefits coverage for employees, including dental and vision; participation in a 401(k) plan; a generous time-off policy; and a professional development budget.
How to Apply
Email a cover letter, resume, and two references to hiring [at] institute.coop (subject: Operations%20Manager) . Cover letters should be addressed to the Hiring Committee and include a 2-3 paragraph statement of interest describing how your skills and experiences qualify you for the position. Include the subject line “Application for Operations Manager position.” All materials should be submitted in PDF format. Deadline to apply: October 25, 2019.