Democracy at Work Institute (DAWI) seeks an experienced, self-directed and collaborative contractor to work with the School for Democratic Management to support two exciting training projects.
DAWI’s School for Democratic Management is launching a worker cooperative developer cohort in the City of Chicago between December 2023 and November 2024. We are working with local partners to recruit developers, trainers, schedule and host in-person and virtual training workshops to expand worker cooperatives in Chicago. In addition, we are expanding our international work in Kenya and Guatemala to support the development and expansion of the worker cooperative business model there. We will be organizing staff travel and in-person trainings as well as hosting virtual trainings. Both projects will involve coordination with DAWI staff, local partners, participants, translators, and interpreters.
The major duties and responsibilities of the role are as follows:
- Project Management:
- Support with managing project timelines and deadlines for all program activities including recruitment, training, evaluation, travel, and grant reporting.
- Training Support:
- Coordinate all Zoom trainings including: set up, communication with participants, back-end support during trainings, liaison with interpreters, manage dual interpretation channels
- Handles planning for 3 onsite events including: coordinating with onsite partners, contractors, trainers, and interpreters to ensure event set up, facilitation, and take down is successful
- Participant engagement:
- Support with recruitment, reviewing applications, scheduling interviews, communicating with participants about selection, and ongoing communication with participants and guest trainers throughout the program.
- Make travel arrangements for staff and contract trainers for 3-7 trips (up to three people each trip). This includes arranging flights, hotels, etc.)
- Lead research and selection of on-site training venues with local partners
- Coordinate with interpreters and translators including vetting, contracting, scheduling, communication, travel, and logistics
- Ensure graphic design and translation of training and communication materials is consistent and complete
- Handle all logistical communication with program participants
Experience, Skills and Qualities We Seek
- Skilled in planning, and facility with project management systems (Asana or equivalent)
- Experience event planning, follow through, and accountability
- Experience with Zoom meeting setup, and learner participation
- Impeccable attention to detail and effective time management skills
- Strong communications skills and diplomacy – written and verbal
- Experience making travel arrangements (including international)
- Spanish language skills preferred.
DAWI is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit movement-based think-and-do tank that expands the promise of cooperative business ownership to communities most directly affected by economic, social, and racial inequality. We do research and advocacy; we develop tools and new models; we train worker-owners and developers; and we convene communities of practice to ensure that further growth in the worker cooperative movement reaches low-income people, BIPOC communities, and recent immigrants. We are affiliated with the US Federation of Worker Cooperatives, the national grassroots membership organization. In all our work, as well as internal operations, DAWI strives to embody our organizational values of Excellence, Equity, Entrepreneurialism, Collaboration, and Human-Centeredness.
Schedule and Location
This is a 14-month contract, beginning October 2023 through November 2024 with the possibility of extending into 2025. Work will average 8-16 hours per week, with the possibility of increased hours to support a third related project.
We are a remote organization with offices in San Francisco and New York. This allows us to have staff and contractors all over the country, and to create flexible working hours and locations. All staff and contractors are expected to be able and willing to learn technological tools for remote working. There are no travel requirements for this position.
The rate for this position is $50.00/hour.
Interested? Please send the following to Rebecca Bauen, Education and Training Director hiring [at] institute.coop by 5 pm Pacific, Tuesday, Oct. 3, 2023:
- Brief cover letter that includes a clear-eyed assessment of your areas of strength
- Resume and one reference you have worked with on event planning and/or project coordination